Thursday, June 08, 2006

James "Whitey" Bulger.

Wikipedia Article about Whitey

Whitey was the last of the major Irish American gangsters. You can read more about him in T.J. English's Paddywhacked and several of Whitey's former "employees" have now written books.

There is an entire Whitey cottage industry. Click on Amazon for all sorts of Whitey connected
books. Click on Google for the 94000+ hits connected to him.

I am being lazy. Those with interest can head for said links. Why am I mentioning Whitey here? Because unwittingly my Moriarty character has many of the same traits. Taking care of Irish people while he commits crimes. Again refer back to Nature vs. Nurture. Also read Michael MacDonalds book All Souls to get an idea about this.

Why Whitey? Again, I did not intend this. I cannot help thinking about Whitey though. My wife's family is from that neighborhood, the Boston, Massachusetts section of South Boston

Originally, I just knew I wanted to create a Moriarty character who wasn't a "cardboard" cutout as someone stated on the 6/6/06 radio show. (Hmmm 6/6/06 show. Where is this going? LOL)! I made the Famine and his rage his purpose. In other words, he could kill a man, then head straight to the nearest church and confess. My Moriarty does not like to kill fellow Irishmen, but he also does not like "rats" and incompetents. So many end up dead.

It is said Whitey is a student of history. If he reads this he may or may not approve. I would though be curious for anyone from Massachusetts to throw in their two cents.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home