Thursday, July 20, 2006

I've Created a Monster

My poor show host (and potential publisher) cringed when she read the piece you have just seen. My friend Rita said "you have a vivid imagination." I thought, "gee, isn't that what is said about folks in the mental institutions. However, I digress.

I had a discussion with a friend in my Toastmasters club who is an attorney. The "is Moriarty is Psychopath or a Sociopath? Some definitions:

Psychopath

Sociopath


These from Wikipedia are a little more complex. My friend basically boiled it down to this:

The psychopath has a mental illness. He genuinely cannot control himself and doesn't realize his improper actions are wrong in anyway.

The sociopath realizes they are wrong, but genuinely does not care. Other are objects, there to be used.

Anger

I put that up, because there is no question. Moriarty is certainly angry. He certainly sees the British as a threat to him, his family his people. He sees them as unjust and that they are humiliating Ireland. I am just throwing this out here. What I am asking the reader to do is figure this out for yourself. Is the anger genuine, or is Moriarty a sociopath who is using the suffering of the Irish people for his own gain? Well let me rephrase that, the anger is there but is he using it to help his people only to build his empire? Something tells me if Moriarty were living today, anger management would not sit well with Moriarty. He will take his anger and go home.

Of course, as Holmes thwarts him more and more, the anger keeps building. I was reading about the Buddhist way of dealing with anger. That would not go over well with the good professor either.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home